The approaches and methodologies used in SPHE are crucial to the effectiveness of the programme. While some of the objectives of the curriculum can be achieved through more direct teaching, the emphasis in SPHE is on active learning. Where children are given opportunities to be actively engaged in their learning at many different levels, there is a greater chance that they will
- experience and discover the learning for themselves
- construct new meanings and acquire new understanding
- take increasing responsibility for their own learning
- make their own of the learning and internalise what has been learned
- become more critical and discerning
- be able to transfer the learning to different situations.