Latin is concerned with the study of the Latin language and with aspects of the history and civilization of the Ancient Romans. The subject will open to students a language and a literature which are fascinating in their own right but which are also important for an understanding of how language works and for an appreciation of many features of their own society. Vocabulary, grammatical knowledge and cultural awareness should all be enhanced.
Students who have studied Junior Certificate Latin will have received a good introduction to Latin language, literature, history and civilization. They should also be well placed to continue their studies at Leaving Certificate level.
The syllabus comprises the following areas of study:
- Translation and Background Study of Prescribed Latin. ( Details of a three-year cycle of prescribed passages are issued by the Department of Education and Science )
- Translation of Unprescribed Latin
- Comprehension of Latin (including grammar)
- Latin Composition (optional)
- Roman History
- Roman Social Life and Civilisation
The syllabus is offered at two levels, Ordinary and Higher. The syllabus framework is common to both levels. At Higher level, however, students will be expected to have reached a higher level of attainment in translation of prescribed and unprescribed Latin, and in comprehension, grammar and composition. Students at Higher level are also required to read a greater quantity of prescribed Latin than students at Ordinary level.
Junior Certificate Latin is assessed at both levels by written examination. The total marks for each paper is 400. 80% of the marks are awarded to translation from Latin or into Latin. The remaining 20% is awarded to Roman History and Roman Social Life and Civilisation.
The syllabus for Junior Certificate Latin is currently under review by NCCA.
Junior Certificate Latin Syllabus(Ordinary level and Higher level)
Junior Certificate Latin - Defined vocabulary list (PDF 160KB)
State Examinations Commission
Department of Education and Science
Classical Association of Ireland-Teachers
Joint Association of Classical Teachers