Ancient Greek is concerned with the language and the civilisation of the Greeks during the classical period. Students should gain an appropriate level of understanding and appreciation of the Greek language and culture.
Students taking the Junior Certificate course should be well placed to enter into the Leaving Certificate programme in Ancient Greek.
The syllabus in Ancient Greek comprises the following areas:
- Translation and Background Study of Prescribed Greek.
- Translation of Unprescribed Greek.
- Comprehension of Greek (including Grammar and Etymology)
- Greek Composition.
- Greek History.
- Greek Civilisation, Myth and Legend.
The syllabus is offered at two levels, Ordinary and Higher level
The syllabus framework is common to both levels. At Higher level, however, students will be required to have reached a higher level of attainment in translation of prescribed and unprescribed Greek, and in Greek Composition, Grammar and Comprehension.
Students at Higher level will be required to read a greater quantity of Greek literature than students at Ordinary level.
Junior Certificate Ancient Greek is assessed at both levels by written examination.
Translation from Greek, Composition, Grammar and Comprehension account for 85% of the marks. Greek History, Civilisation, Myth and Legend account for the remaining 15%.
The syllabus for Junior Certificate Latin is currently under review by NCCA.
Junior Certificate Ancient Greek Syllabus (Ordinary level and Higher level)
State Examinations Commission
Department of Education and Science
Classical Association of Ireland-Teachers
Joint Association of Classical Teachers